Aquascutum was established in 1851, the year of the Great Exhibition when tailor and entrepreneur John Emary opened a high quality menswear shop at 46 Regent Street. In 1853, after succeeding in producing the first waterproof wool, he had his discovery patented and renamed the company ‘Aquascutum’, Latin for ‘watershield’. In 1901, Emary moved to 100 Regent Street in the heart of London. In September 2011, Austin Reed had moved into that location at 100 Regent Street after it was announced that Aquascutum was in trouble. Coats for officers in the Crimean War (1853–1856) were made from Aquascutum’s waterproof fabric, as were the trench coats worn by soldiers of all ranks in both world wars.